Monday, April 25, 2011

Final Project

Ben’jamin
Mr. H Salsich
English 9
25/4/11

Dear Reader,

What you are about to read is the outcome of two long and hard years of English Class. I had just over a month to work on this paper, so you can expect it to be perfect. This essay is about a topic that I actually feel very strongly about: the strength of spirit. I will not say anymore on that topic as to keep the discussion to my essay. This is however a multigenre essay, meaning that I will be writing in four different genres not including a standard eleven sentence paragraph. In this essay, I will discuss the strength of spirit throughout history including from William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and in A Tale of Two Cities. I will use examples displaying strength of spirit from leaders such as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, and some others. I hope you enjoy this piece of work, for this is my last essay I will write at Pine Point after ten years. Thank you.

Sincerely
Ben’jamin Dameron

Strength of Spirit is the basis of all life. Everything we want to do, whether we do it or not, is determined by our strength of spirit. We have complete control of everything we do in life, and whether we want to do it or not. Then it is up to our will if we want to do it; this is our body, our mind, our life, we make the decisions. Some people do have more spirit than others. Not all minds are the same, and this is what makes us unique, and it is the mind that controls the will. As long as we are unique, we will differ in everyway, including our strength of spirit. If you are not making decisions, you are not living, and this is all based on our strength of spirit. If we are not making decisions, what are we doing, we are just auto pilot, not thinking, just registering, and responding without any thought process. As long as we are in some sort of contact withProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

he world, and we are ever thinking about what we are in contact with, we are using our will do make decisions, and then living the life.


You can lock me up,
Put me away,
Shut me up,
Or keep me at bay.
Treat me as a pup,
Treat me ill for a day

But I won’t stop
Put me behind walls
Call in the cop
Shoot me with balls
But my dreams you will not chop

For my strength is greater
Than any iron sword
And my will is straighter
Than any thick iron cord

So don’t try to slow me down
You’ll only hurt yourself
Make you look like a clown
You’ll look small as an elf

For my strength of spirit
Is wise and mighty
Don’t you hear it
It is the sound of the almighty




A Letter Home

Dear Mother,
My situation grows worse by the hour. I have no idea how I am going to be able to continue to cope with the magnitude of my condition. My vision is fogged and smudged like finger prints on eye glasses, and I am having an increasing problem seeing my way to the end. I no longer see the path I should take, I simply feel it. But do not worry about me, I am ok, for you can not see your strength of spirit, yet you know its there. I can not see the dark black road below my feet, or the yellow line that carves into the shadows of the future, yet I know it is there.

Mother, you must write back quickly because I know not what to do. I am not strong enough to face the villains, my fears, behind me, but I am strong enough to plunge into the dark pool of blackness in front of my eyes, yet, I do not know what will become of me if I continue to wade through the smog and muck of this challenge. I try to get help, from truck drivers going by, but they do not see me, they see only a coward, a small boy running from the dark. They do not know me, if they knew me, they would know I am running from the light, running from what I know, then only thing I know. The dark has promised me a new beginning, but know not whether I can trust the dark, for I know it has a tendency to lie, to lure you in with fake pledges, only to close his sharp jaws on your shoelace, and you can not escape, so you and your shoe are stuck forever. But I fear what I left more than I fear the dark, more than I fear being cold, and being hurt. I fear being alone more than being surrounded by creatures that want to hurt me. I need to know what to do. I can’t continue on like this, but I dare not turn my eyes. As I stare forward, I forget, and my troubles are not but stone statues, locked in the rays of the sun, but the second I turn, they become weeping angles, ready to snap my neck the moment I blink, yet I shall forget them the second I turn my back. I am scared to see their faces, the faces of my fears, but I know that if I keep walking into the unknown, I shall see them come out of the dark. Please mother please, tell me what to do, for I lack the will to make a decision. You have always been strong with spirit, and know what to do, so please, be my flame, and guide me through the dark.


Love
Your Son



Strength of spirit is all about our thoughts on what is morally correct. The spirit is what we believe to be morally correct, and the strength is how strongly we believe in it. Someone who has no moral beliefs has absolutely no strength of spirit. It is not an simple stream of endless strength that we choose to use or not, it is a complicated analysis on events and our thoughts on if those events are just and then how we react to the. However, there is only so much you can do with it. If you lock someone up, yes they can use their voice and communicate with those outside, but if someone is in complete isolation, with no way out, there is nothing they can do, and no amount of strength will break though. Yes it is nice to think rosy thoughts that good will always prevail, but if you are smart enough, and strong enough, and powerful enough, you could potentially silence a morally strong person. Strength of spirit is the basis of all emotion and all life, but it is not all powerful. We all have some sort of strength, but some amounts more than others. Strength of spirit has thousands of interpretations, and this is only mine, though this topic will be disputed for all of time, through all of space, till ever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment