Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Essay 18

Ben’jamin
Mr. H Salsich
English 9
6/4/11

Essay 18 Outline

TS What might you call a master of a profession
CM Answer Question
CM Explain Fate as a profession
TH Once we are set free from our mothers arms, the eye of blame can only look upon one
person, you.

TS Once given to the world, we are masters (what of the time before)
SD Childhood fears
CM My fear of needles
CM My fear of being alone
SD Childhood strengths
CM Climbing
CM Acting
SD Families position in life
CM Money
CM Where we live
CS Are personality is out of control,

TS Once we are “free”, we are masters of fate
SD “Once we are free”=in charge of our lives
CM We are in charge of every choice we make
CM No one there to guide us up the stairs
SD Ever decision has an impact
CM Thousands of choices everyday
CM What I eat for breakfast could impact my day
SD We are masters of our fate for better or for worse
CM Our choices could lead us to success
CM Our choices could lead us to the bottom stages of the world
CS After a few short years of “training” we do become masters of our own fates

TS There comes a time, right after childhood, when the only person you can blame for
your mistakes is yourself
CM We have to take full advantage of the early stages of life
CM Once we leave home, we are on our own
CS The safety is off, we most climb alone

Crack of Luck
An Essay on how People are “Masters of our Fates”

“Why, man, doth he bestride the narrow world,
Like a colossus, and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs, peeping about
To find ourselves dishonorable graves.
Men at some time are masters of their fates.
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in the starts,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”

-Cassius in Julius Caesar-William Shakespeare
Act 1 Scene 2 Lines 142-148

The millions of decisions we make in one day, life changing or unnoticeable, affect the path that our life travels. That flow of decisions under our stone bridge will, once again, overflow with endless decisions, some good, some bad. The influences we come across every day affect who we are, but are not the deciding factor of our lives. Only our minds, for those of us who have found our voice, can be the master of our fates.

What might you call a master of a kingdom, a master of an academic subject, the master
of a business, the master of an army, or what might you call the master of ship, or the
master of a school, or even, what might you call the master of fate. The master of a
kingdom is a king, the master of a subject is a professor, the master of a business is
a CEO, the master of an army is a general, and you might call the master of a ship a
captain, and the master of a school the principle. All these are professions, and each of
those people can do their job to perfection, but none of them can do the others job, so
what might you call the master of Fate; humans. Once that we, humans, people, leave the safety of our mothers arms, we are at the mercy of the world, but we are in total control of our lives, whether we realize it or not.

We are free once we are given to the world, but what of the time before, because this is where we have little to no control. I have childhood fears that now impact my decisions now. When I was incredibly younger than I am now, I was, against my will, unwillingly dragged to a hospital where my brother had a mole removed, but that is not the whole story, because my mom was supposed to put cream on the mole so that they could remove it with out any pain. My mom put tape over the cream so it wouldn’t come off, but the doctor had to take off the bandage to get the mole, and when they did that my brother was in a lot of pain. There I was sitting in the corner of the operation room with my brother, needles all over his face, blood dripping down his neck, and his shrieking scream echoing off the corners of the world. Ever since this terrifying day in my life, I haven’t able to stand needles, and I don’t think I ever will. Although, our childhoods weigh us down with weaknesses, sometimes, they give us the edge with useful perks of experience. I did a lot of climbing and bouldering when I was really young, and now I have a climbing ability that exceeds most 15 year olds I know. As long as I can remember, I have been reciting commercials and movies day in and day out, and now in my later years, I have been told that I have a natural ability to act, something I am very proud of. Who your parents are to also has a huge impact (on your future). Naturally, if you are born to a multi-billionaire, you will do better than someone born into a family with no money. Where your family lives also effects your life a lot; you don’t decide where you live as a kid, and for me, living 26 miles away from school has definitely affected my life. For the first few years of our lives, we really have no control, we may end up with a childhood we don’t want, or we may be born into a great family and succeed in life.





In reality, once we are free, we are masters of our fates, whether we know it or not. Once we are free, we are in charge of our own lives and no one is telling us what we have to do. We are there to make every decision; we become the leaders of our lives, not the followers. Once we are free, there is no one there to hold our hand. Some people fail to grasp how much we are in control, and that every decision has an impact. What you eat for breakfast could effect how hungry you are, which could mean that you do go to your locker to get a snack, which means you weren’t in the classroom when the assignment was being explained. We really are masters of our fates, for better or for worse. One choice, just one, could completely ruin your life, or make it. Do you fall slave to peer pressure; do you take the AP course; every decision is a big one. After our “training” we become masters of our fates, though we never grasp how big a task that actually is.

There comes a time in our lives, generally right after childhood, when we become masters of our fates, when the only person you can blame for your mistakes is yourself, when there is no one standing behind you in the mirror. We must take full advantage of our childhoods and learn how to make the big and small decisions in life. Once we leave home, the smallest decision could change you forever. Once we leave hom’, the safety is off and we climb alon’. (soften “n” and “m” on home and alone to get a rhyme)



Self Assessment
1. One Strength I see in this writing?
I really like my opening paragraph! I think it draws in the reader but doesn’t give away any of what is too come. I also think I picked my thesis well for it gave me a lot to work with but I could still be very specific.

2. Once weakness in this essay?
I feel like I tried to cram a lot of information in a very small amount of space. This makes it really kind of choppy writing, but, I tried the best I could to make it as clear as possible.

3. Once thing I’m continuing to work on?
Getting to a point where special effects help me. My style of writing is almost sarcastic, more like how I talk than how anyone might write. This means that most special effects actually hurt my writing, so getting them to fit in well is a challenge for me.

4. I worked really hard on this essay and see no reason in my writing in why I shouldn’t get a solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment