Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Essay 17

Ben’jamin
Mr. H Salsich
English 9
16/2/11

Will You Remember?:
An Essay on my Memories from A Tale of Two Cities

“Those were the best of times; those were the worst of times” were the words that came out of my mouth when I finally reached page 390 in Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. I am incredibly picky about the books I read, mainly due to the style of writing, and there were many times when I was reading this book from 1859 when the writing would get a little “old fashion” for my taste. However, there were also parts in the book when I thought that Dickens was the greatest writer there ever has been and ever will be. In these times of fantastic text where the book wrote to me, and the inscription will live on in me forever.

One of the greatest messages in the world has been gratefully given to me by this book; this message is courage. Courage is the greatest message in this book and anyone who reads Charles Dickens’ novel will remember that message. Ever since the beginning of the book, courage has been important. However, the greatest example of courage does not show its majestic face until the very end when Sydney Carton, the quick-minded but depressed English barrister alcoholic, and cynic lays down his own life so his friend might escape the horrors of 1789 Paris. There is also the drive that pushes the French people over the edge. Some might think it was madness, that the revolution was simply a group of sick drunks crawling sinisterly up the quivering, well dressed, imperialists, only to show no mercy and watch there blood mix with the wine below their feet. Some people had been driven out of their minds, there is no doubt about it, but I do not believe that the whole French population had become that ill, so I would like to believe that there was courage to in the French hearts, and that drove at least some of them to their final victory. Courage is an incredibly important message in A Tale of Two Cities and its message will live on in me forever.

The Doctor must be one of the greatest characters I have ever read about. He is the greatest character in A Tale of Two Cities. He was just gone through so much in his life. We know he was sick for a portion of his life on the crossing from France, and that he spent 18 years in the Bastille, and he had his daughter taken away from him, and once he was reunited with his daughter, he had to see her hurt when Charles was arrested. I just have so much respect for Doctor Manette, and he is also the most interesting. His life is the most mysterious, and even at the end, it is misty and unclear. He also sticks to his values, and sticks to Lucie, even when another man takes his place. Doctor Manette is the greatest character in A Tale of Two Cities due to his mysteriousness and his persistence and courage.

Right now, my favorite book is The Long Walk by Steven King, and it has a lot on A Tale of Two Cities. There were many parts of A Tale of Two Cities that I thought were melodramatic and unrealistic. However, there were many parts of this book that I enjoyed and will live on in me forever.



Self Assessment

1. One problem I am continuing to work on?
I am continuing to work on using the topic to my advantage. Generally, only the topics that I like have ended up being strong. But I really need to start making all my essays strong.

2. One strength in this writing?
I really like the first paragraph. I’m not sure why, but I think I really chose my words well and that the paragraph is very graceful.

3. One weak point in this essay?
The second paragraph. I had trouble thinking about what to write about. I think my topic on the first paragraph was too broad and then I had nothing to use for my second.

4. A-

No comments:

Post a Comment