Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Essay 5

Ben’jamin
Mr. H Salsich
English 9
18/10/10

The Long Lost:
An Essay on Your Feelings When Discovering a Lost Parent

(TS) Imagine for just one second, that for as long as you can remember, and a time before, your parents were dead. (CM) You live alone, adapting to having to learn everything first hand. (CM) Then, one day, your parents renter your life; and living alone becomes a very different story. (TH) That time of readjusting might be very difficult with many feelings passing alone through your mind and heart.

(TS) The feelings of Luci Manette when she meets her father are portrayed very well by Dickens using several writing techniques. (SD) Dialogue is used extensively within the parteds’ meeting, forced miles away from each other, not knowing the others whereabouts. (CM) The feelings of Luci are caught very well with the use of varied dialogue; Dickens varies the lengths of monologues from short, shocked bursts, to long protracted speeches. (CM) However, the short sentences such as, “Who are you?”(Dickens, 46) are incredibly powerful, and they do their job with perfection and dignity. (SD) The use of action is used exceedingly well by Dickens to give the reader a very clear picture of what is happening during the Manettes’ meeting. (CM) It is easy to write about two people standing in a room talking to each other, but Dickens make this conversation seem so real by putting in ever movement. (CM) These movements however do not take up pages, they are brief and are over with quickly, such as this quote, “Not yet trusting the tones of her voice, she sat down on the bench beside him. He recoiled, but she laid her hand upon his arm.” (Dickens, 46). (SD) Parallelism is used for its rhythm and beauty, which can make an emotional section quite entertaining. (CM) When a writer uses parallelism, it can really get a point across. (CM) Dickens uses this well in this piece of dialogue, “No, no, no; you are too young, to blooming.” (CS) The use of, and writing inside and around dialogue in the reuniting of Luci Manette and her father really makes it a great piece of writing.

(TS) If I had been told that my parents were dead only to find that years later they were still alive, I would have a multitude of emotions. (SD) First of all, I would feel betrayed. (CM) I would feel lied to by who ever had told that my parents died. (CM) I would also feel abandoned by my parents because they were not there. (SD) I would also feel tricked. (CM) I believe that I would be reluctant to believing my parents were still alive. (CM) Having lived in this body for 14 years, I know it would take a lot to convince me that the two people there are my parents. (SD) I would also feel brought back. (CM) Over 20 years, my life would have adapted to having no parents, to a new life. (CM) Once my parents return to my life, my whole lifestyle has to go backwards 20 years. (CS) At first thought, the reuniting would be very pleasant, but after 20 years of living alone, things might be different.

(TS) If you just discovered your parents after believing they were dead for your whole life, you might have a whole host feelings and ideas. (CM) A person might feel betrayed, or abandoned, or blissful, or distressed, or lied to, or any number of feelings. (CM) It is difficult to think of how you would respond because few people personally relate to this. (CS) The only true way to know how you would react would be for it to happen to them, and no one wants to know that badly.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Self Assessment
1. What is one writing issue that you are continuing to work on?
I am continuing to work on making sure I catch all my mistakes and make sure all my sentences are where they should be
2. What is one possible strong point you see in this writing?
I believe that my first body paragraph was very well written. I spent a very long time trying to use the write words and use long sentences that did not sound long and boring.
3. What is one weak point you see in this writing?
I believe that my second body paragraph is my biggest weak point because I tried to use lots of short sentences to change it up from the first paragraph. However, I believe I used too many short sentences and was not able to achieve the sound I was going for.
4. Grade?
I would give myself an A- on this essay because I believe that it is very well written and I spent a very long time working on this essay and I believe my effort should earn any less.

No comments:

Post a Comment